Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Buddhism And Modern Psychology

I started taking an online course called Buddhism and Modern Psychology.  Yesterday the lesson was about suffering.  Buddhism believes that suffering comes from being attached to things.  I've believed this for awhile now since I've been reading about Buddhism.  It is still hard for me to not be attached to things and outcomes, etc.  On my way to work today I saw two instances where things changed suddenly that I was attached to at the moment. One was at an intersection.  I was letting a car go through, and all of a sudden it started to back up instead of going through the intersection so I went through instead.  As I got to the next intersection the car in front of me was pulled to the left with it's left signal on and all of a sudden, put on it's right signal and turned right.  These may seem like small things, but it goes to show you that at any moment in your life things can change.  Getting attached to an outcome and wanting to happen a certain way is aggravating if it doesn't work out the way we think it should.  I'm trying to live in the moment and when things happen just accept them.  This way there is no suffering.  If I start with the small stuff like on my way to work it will get easier when the big stuff comes up.  ~Thanks for listening

No comments:

Post a Comment